Background

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sushi Experience

I worried about having enough to blog about when we first started it. Well, that worry is far gone. When you experience something totally new and drastic every day, it's easy to blog way too much.

Today we took a half day tour Tokyo. We saw a few hot spot tourist places, such as, Shinto shrines and shopping areas. It was so helpful in trying to learn the different areas of Tokyo but that will be taken care of tomorrow when we start our apartment hunting. Tonight we were able to meet up for sushi with two future co-workers of John's. One is about to move to India on his next assignment in September. They were very helpful in answering our questions and calming any anxieties we had. The place we had sushi was really neat. We had to take our shoes off to go up to our table, and since I had on flip flops that mean I was barefoot on the floor. Now, I know some of you think that is really gross, but places in Japan are so clean. I didn't feel gross at all! Thankfully, when I went to the bathroom, they had some sandals for me to wear. As far as sushi goes, we had sea urchin, which was the consistency of thick mashed potatoes. It didn't taste bad...it really didn't taste like anything. We also had squid (little tough), scallops, tuna (so much better over hear), red shellfish, salmon, and some other things...can't really remember it all.

We had great English conversation and great food...can't ask for much more! Let's pray tomorrow and Tuesday's apartment search goes really well!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are both having an exiciting experience. You will remember it all your lives.
    How fortunate you are to see another part of the world, so unlike your own.
    Good luck house hunting!!! Sea urchin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thick mashed potatoes part would have done me in! Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to go back to work today after being off for awhile and I absolutely dreaded it. I had that sick feeling in my stomach, and I thought about how it would be for you going to Japan. You are a lot stronger than me. I hope that your house hunting is going well.

    ReplyDelete