Background

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Cayce vs. Tokyo Metro System

This round goes to Cayce! So, I took the subway all by myself to meet an expat wife that had been answering lots of my questions via e-mail over the past several months. I even had to switch stations, but I did it with no major problems. I do need to always remember to bring something to read or do on the train instead of having to just look straight ahead the whole time avoiding some of the stares that I get. No, Cal, they do not call us "honkies"...they call us gaijin (outsider or foreigner). Although, I've only read that and haven't heard it.

Anyway, I met a very sweet expat wife at Tokyo Midtown, which is basically the equivalent of our galleria in Dallas. We went to lunch then took a stroll to the area where our apartment will be. She took to Don Quijote, which is a combination of Walmart and a party supply store. They even had Clinique makeup there. It was about 6 floors of all kinds of crazy stuff. I could have spent hours just looking around. Then we went to an international grocery store, which reminded me of Central Market in a way. Everything was in English, which was spectacular! I'll be going there a lot, at least at first. I do want to eventually use the local fruit and veggies stores that are around. Baby steps! Today really gave me a peace of mind as far as navigating this huge city. I can totally handle this! I can't wait for visitors to come see us...I just don't think there is anyway to explain some of this stuff.

Tonight we have dinner and drinks with some more of John's co-workers. Then, tomorrow morning we will see the apartment again to take more pics and measurements. We have to head for the airport around 2:00 and fly out at 6:00. Pretty sure I'm heading straight for Mexican food Friday night. Meet us at Amigo's if you are interested!

I thought I'd post this pic of John eating our fancy meal on First Class since we'll be doing this again tomorrow...


7 comments:

  1. Cayce, I am so proud of you for being so adventurous - you will make a fantastic expat! And I have seen all kinds in the past 26 years of international HR!!!! Can't wait to visit. Have a safe flight back. It sounds as if you both have a lot to look forward to in Tokyo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cayce- you are an inspiration! It sounds like you will have no problem adjusting. I can't wait to see all of the pictures that I'm sure you took!

    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cayce--
    Sounds like you are going to have a lot o fun in Tokyo! I love reading the blog! I keep Joye update on your adventure! I am praying for you! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, sounds like the trip was a HUGE SUCCESS for you and since the "skype" night your father and I are feeling great about the two years of being away from you two. We can feel your excitement through the e-mails and blogs.
    I am thankful that PWC allowed Cayce to travel with John to actually get a feel for Japan.
    I know you are on the long flight home but love ya and cannot wait to see you. MOM-O

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Cayce,

    I just got a chance to see your blog today and I am so PROUD OF YOU!

    I knew you were the adventurous type! I am looking forward to hearing all about your trip and we are certainly covering you and John for a restful trip back! Be Blessed and Highly Favored my dear friend...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didnt know you were gone until I came back from having my baby. I didnt even get to say good bye.

    We didnt get to talk much but I do miss seeing you getting out of the elevator every morning with a smile.

    I wish you a Happy Birthday today. Praying that you and your husband are well. We miss you here at Buckner.

    ReplyDelete