Background

Sunday, July 12, 2009

First Impression

I am not sure what I was thinking Tokyo would look like, but it looks like any other large city. There are of course a few exceptions: there are Japanese signs everywhere, it is VERY clean, and there are a few more people than I am used to. Our tour guide this morning said there are 13 million people living in the city and another 4 million commute in everyday for work. That is a lot of people.

I am not sure why I was surprised to see Tokyo this way, but I was. I did not really have anything in my head so I am not sure what I was expecting. It was not upside down, that is for sure. I was a little worried about that.

I had a really weird moment thinking about my friends and family and realizing that if I wanted to point to them, I would be pointing down...

We have had a good time so far, but I have a new drive to learn the language. People here are really helpful, but when someone who does not speak much Japanese is asking questions in Japanese and someone who does not speak much English is answering in English, it can be very hard to communicate.

Well, jet lag is calling. Time for a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment