Background

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

4 Months Can Fly

I am 4 months today! For so long it seemed like this pregnancy was dragging a bit, and all of a sudden I am 4 months along. We had a great checkup last week with Dr. Sakamoto. I wish I had a new picture to share. The one he gave me is even less clear than the one from my earlier post. It's such a shame, too, because we got to see such detail on the sonogram screen. We saw Baby Rut's legs and arms. We all saw his/her hand up by his/her face. The thigh bone, abdomen, and head were measured. The thigh bone and abdomen measured a little bit ahead of 15 weeks (which I was last week), and the head measured a little under. Of course, I let this freak me out a little. Sakamoto assured me this was totally fine. Not so surprised about the thigh bone, though. Poor kid will probably have a Couch family set of thighs (thanks Dad!). If we find out the baby's a boy, then it will be very positive for his football career. If the baby's a girl, I can help her through it. :-)

My next appointment is October 7th, and I hope to find out the sex of the baby. We have been really trying to not call the baby an "it". It really bothered John, and then I started to think of Stephen King's novel/movie about that super scary clown. I don't want THAT growing in me! So, we've been interchanging Baby Rut and his/her. Can't wait to find out!

John and I have been feeling good. This week the weather has started to cool down along with some rain. I really don't mind the rain (even when I got caught in it without an umbrella) because it is so much better than the heat wave we were having. Our Japanese friends were all saying how unusual the heat has been. It usually doesn't last this long. John has been busy with work and I have been busy with my BSF bible study, book club, CWAJ (women's group in Tokyo) luncheon, rice cake making, etc. My life feels very full these days, which I much prefer to the slow summer that I had when I got back from the US. I may complain that I am tired, but I am thankful to get to be a part of so many things instead of sitting in my apartment.

Last week and the week before, we had our friends Brian, Tanya and Zayne come to visit. It was a super busy week of trekking around Tokyo and John and I's first trip to Kyoto and Nara. We really enjoyed Kyoto, but I didn't really enjoy the record high heat they were having. In Tokyo there is generally at least a light breeze because the ocean is so close. Kyoto is nestled way down in a valley of mountains, so no breeze. We did get to explore the city on motorized bikes, though. Think bikes with a little juice behind them not mopeds. I was surprised by how well they worked, though. We covered most of the city although you can't cover the whole thing in even 2 days. Here's a picture of our fabulous sweatiness at one of the temples (all photo credits go to Brian as John didn't want to sweat all over our camera):

Here are some more Kyoto pics:

View from our hotel

John and a dragon

John and I in front of the Golden Temple (most famous sight in Kyoto)


On day 2 of our trip, we headed to Nara, which is about 45 minutes from Kyoto. I really enjoyed Nara. It was slightly cooler there but also smelled like a petting zoo. The deer in this town are everywhere, and they are so used to being fed and touched by people that they just hang around or even come up to you. If you root through your bag, they are on high alert to see what you come out with. Do you even have to ask if I was a little nervous? I understand they are deer, but then I see this warning sign:

My sport loving bro-in-law would have been wishing he had packed his rifle for this trip! Wouldn't be a fair fight, though, Cal! Look how sweet they look...


More pictures of Nara:

This is the largest wooden building in the world and dates back to the year 728


Another temple had over 3,000 of these stone lanterns...I really want some of these for our future garden


This little guy was sort of the town mascot...weird!


Despite the heat and massive amounts of sweat, we had a really great time exploring new (to us) and old parts of Japan with friends.

Hope all that back in the US are enjoying the beginnings of fall! I've realized it's my favorite time of year in the US. Cooler weather, warmer colors, football games, quiet evenings, time spent with family carving pumpkins or eating turkey. It's just not the same in Tokyo. I am looking forward to my trip home in December. Then, I'll have my favorite season in Tokyo - spring...that one is hard to beat around here.

Until next time (and you never know when that will be with me!).

5 comments:

  1. i love the update and the new background cayce!! John sent the evite to the Texas OU weekend... I wish I was there for the second annual party!!! :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved getting to chat with you yesterday! how is it that i missed the motorized bikes when i was there?! guess they're only in kyoto :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so excited about your little one. Rachel & Kevin have little boy Haynes (whom I call Scout) he will make his arrival about thanksgiving! We never thought when they were there with you guys a year ago that there would be two BABIES coming into the world this year. God is so good. I know your Mom is crushed not to get to spend more time with you. Take great care & enjoy every single moment. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay for an update! :) sounds like yall had a lot of fun on our latest adventure! You are being so great about the heat... don't know how you are doing it at 4 months prego.... I can't wait to hear boy or girl! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pics! We miss you guys! Glad everything is going well with Baby Rutledge.

    ReplyDelete