Background

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Exciting News!


We just had our one year anniversary of living in Tokyo! It's crazy how fast a year can go by. In this past year, John and I have done some downsizing. Mainly in the realm of our living quarters. Smaller apartment, smaller washer/dryer (ridiculously smaller), smaller oven, etc. Living in a smaller place has forced us to clean out more often even though stuff just keeps piling up anyway! All this to say, we thought we would start expanding in one area of our lives now. What better way to add to your life than with a baby! We are excited to officially announce on the internet that we are having a baby due on March 3, 2011. Here's a picture of the little one:


I know it looks like some sort of beetle or something. This was taken on July 20 (perfect day to see my little one for the first time-my bday for those of you that didn't know). At that stage I think it was a sweet pea or an olive or some other small piece of produce. It is now the size of a large plum. I am officially 12 weeks today. Someone told me that you don't actually get out of your 1st trimester until 13 1/2 weeks, but I'm gonna go ahead and ignore that little fact. I am deeming it over! Although, it wasn't too bad compared to some horror stories that I heard. I did feel a bit queasy in the afternoons while in the US and took lots of naps. In Tokyo, the trick has been trying to avoid the intense heat. A bit hard to do if you have to go outside at all. Even walking to the train station 3 minutes down the road makes me end up drenched. Pretty much everyone is in the same situation, though, so they know I'm not some gross sweaty person (at least, I hope!).

We had a great time telling our friends and family that we saw while we were in the US. We were able to get one telling on video when we told the Couch side of the family. We thought it would be cute for Colt (my nephew) to share the news. You may have to turn your volume up for the first part and then turn it back down for the last part with the screams of excitement. Also, to Jen - sorry that I don't know how to edit the video yet. If I did, I would definitely take out Colt picking his nose...




I wish we had a video of telling the Rutledge side of our family, but John was so anxious to tell them that he all but chunked the framed photos that we had made at them. We made them a copy of this picture to tell them:

Their reaction was great! I had strategically put a bow over the sign on the frame, so it took a few seconds for them to realize. I am super glad we didn't have to call the paramedics. So much fun!

There is no doubt in our minds that this little one is going to be incredibly loved by our family and friends. I know it will be hard going through this experience half a world away, but John and I both feel a great peace about it and know it's God's will for us. My doctor here is the "expat OBGYN", meaning he handles the majority of the foreign resident deliveries in Tokyo. He is very good and made us feel very reassured. A close friend of mine here just had a baby at the end of July with him, and she had a great experience. I am feeling great about it. The plan is to come home for a few weeks in December, so I hope to try to see everyone. I know it will be hard with busy Christmas happenings. I can't wait! I will for sure keep you posted on how the little one is growing! I may refer to the baby as Rocky from time to time. Papaw Rutledge has always wanted to name a son Rocky, so he has deemed it with this name. He is a great poet and has already written Rocky a poem. I will work on getting it uploaded to share it with you. Thanks for making us cry, Papaw!! Lots of love to all!

6 comments:

  1. Hey girl..this is Elizabeth Martinez, from the BGCT! I just saw this post!!! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! I remember when I was expecting my little one and you helped me with my benefits...ahh...I am so happy for you and your husband!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so can you please edit Colt picking his nose AND my country voice??? :) Love y'all!! (All three of you!!!)

    Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yippee!! I loved the video, even though I knew the NEWS!! So. happy for you. I love the photo of the "beetle"!!! Hey, that's cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey ruts! so happy for you guys! i am thinking about you guys and looking forward to the next time we will get to hang out in texas and/or tokyo! i started a blog too...i know, its three years late!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the video!! Colt is too cute!! I'm still very happy for you both! :)

    ReplyDelete