Background

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Migraines, Cabs, and Power Outages...Oh My

I had bad experiences with all the above this past week! After having a great Valentine's Day with John, Monday brought a nasty migraine with it. I used to get them once a month when I was in Junior High, but they have been very sporadic since then. I haven't had one in about a year and half. I walked with a friend, Monisha, to go shopping for "dust bins" as she calls them in India. We call them trash cans...I kind of like dust bins better! As soon as I stepped into the store, I see the "migraine light" in my left eye. The thought of it makes me feel sick! I tried to ignore it and pretend that it wouldn't actually turn into a migraine. Didn't work! It is always the same with these for me...I see the light, feel nauseous, throw up 2-3 times, and have the worst headache of my life for several hours. True to form, I started feeling sick in the store and waited in the restroom to have a "session" (as Monisha called it...she's hilarious). Nothing was happening, but my headache was coming. I decided that I needed to take a cab to get back to my apartment as fast as possible. Thankfully, Monisha joined me so she could direct the cab. She kept reassuring me that I would be fine and wouldn't get sick. Well, my "session" happened in the cab...twice! Poor Monisha and cab driver. Although, I was prepared and had a bag, so I spared the cab. I think I was in too much pain to feel embarrassed. He had to hand me my change and the receipt, and he was very careful to not touch my hand as he gave it to me. I crashed as soon as I got in the apartment for about 4 or 5 hours. Ugh, those things are horrible!

I had another bad cab experience today trying to get somewhere since I was running super late. I tried to give him an address, but he said he knew where the place was. He proceeds to take me to a location where the place I needed to go USED to be (which was 2 minutes from my apartment...I then realized why he chuckled when I told him where I needed to go). He then took the address I had for him, and he still couldn't find the place even with the navigation system. I tried to direct him in extremely broken Japanese. I finally just got out and walked the rest of the way. And John wonders why I don't like to take cabs!

To top that off, I was getting ready to have small group at our apartment Wednesday night and the power goes off just in our apartment. I stared at the breaker box written in Japanese for about 5 minutes, then took a chance and started flipping switches (side note - the little guide that I finally saw said that green meant off and red meant on - wouldn't you think it would be the opposite??). Nothing. I have a friend that lives in our building, but I didn't have her number so I start calling around and finally find her number. Luckily, it has happened to her several times, and she told me which switch to flip. I promise I had already flipped it, but I did it again and it worked. Crisis averted!

Thankfully, I am able to laugh at all these experiences. Although, I hope the puking in the cab thing doesn't repeat itself!

Last week, on the other hand, was a really great week. I got to catch up with my Tokyo friends, took a Latin dance class (nevermind that I was 40-50 years younger than most people in the class), and cooked not one but two dinners. I made John enchiladas (with queso) and fried chicken. He was very happy, and I got to uphold one of my new year's resolutions (cooking more). It was actually my first try at both recipes, and it went pretty well. We had our friends from India over for the fried chicken (also mashed potatoes and gravy), and they loved it. They had two pieces each, and Monisha was still raving about it this week. I'll have to come up with some other southern comfort food to try out on them!

Here's to a week of no more drama!!

2 comments:

  1. I hope that you have a better week this week! I love you and you crack me up!! :) Talk to you soon!!

    Jen S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horrible! I feel so bad that you threw up in the cab, that's miserable. BUT, I am impressed with your cooking. Yum, can I come over for dinner?

    Alison

    ReplyDelete